TORCH's Crisis, Extremes, and Apocalypse network are hosting a seminar on the topic of sacrifice. This will involve a revisitation of the concept of Sacrifice in late modernity in its various configurations, philosophical and ideological.
The seminar will include the following:
- Faisal Devji (Oxford) ‘Gandhi, Sacrifice and the Ambiguities of non-violence’
- Martin Crowley (Cambridge) ‘Bruno Latour's Anti-sacrificial Politics’
- Kalypso Nicolaidis (Oxford) ‘Meanings of ‘Sacrifice’ in Brexit Mythology’
- Brad Evans (Bristol) ‘The Violence of an Artificial Love’
- Jonathan Leader Maynard (Oxford) ‘Consequentialist Extremism: Present Sacrifices for Future Dreams in the Justification of Violence’
- Kimberley Hutchings (QMUL) ‘On Violence, Gender and Sacrifice: old stories and new reflections’